In the late 1800's, I. Marks and half brother, Levi Rothenberg saw tremendous potential in Meridian. So much so, they built the Grand Opera House and the Marks Rothenberg department store, as a complement to each other in the heart of downtown. Meridian was a logical stop on the railroad between New Orleans and Chicago and was on the verge of being quite a cosmopolitan city. The Marks and Rothenberg brothers were genuinely interested in enhancing Meridian's arts and cultural offerings, in addition to making what they considered a wise investment.
The term "Grand Opera House" came from the theatre guide book of that time period and was designated to theatres that met certain qualifications in terms of the structure. Many people mistakenly think that only operas were held in the theatre, when that was not at all the case. In fact, the opera house was host to some of the most popular traveling shows of that time, including vaudeville shows, minstrels and even some of the earliest silent movies. Like other opera houses of its day, it was adversely affected by the introduction of contemporary movie theaters and closed its doors in 1927. Tied up in lawsuits for decades, the Grand Opera House was left virtually untouched from the time of its closure, making restoration to its original beauty possible. Historic preservationists were thrilled to find the theatre largely in tact, including exquisite wood work, wainscoting, remnants of over 60 different wall coverings, and the original lambrequin hanging above the stage.
While the Grand Opera House closed, the department store continued to operate under various forms and ownership until 1990. At some point in the early 1960's, the exterior of the Marks Rothenberg building was covered with metal siding, as was the trend to "modernize" buildings at that time, making them devoid of the very character and rich architecture that made them so special. Starting in the 1980's, a portion of the siding was removed to unveil the beautiful windows, intricate brick and mortar design, giving the community a sense of what the building could be again. Over the next two decades, efforts increased to save the Grand Opera House and restore the Marks Rothenberg building for new use.
Area community leaders and Mississippi State University began to articulate a vision for the theatre and adjoining Marks Rothenberg and Newberry buildings. The project got its real momentum in January 2000, when The Riley Foundation made the anchor $10 million contribution to restore the buildings. The contribution was made with a stipulation that Mississippi State University own and operate the center. Other donations by local, state, and federal agencies followed. All total, the project represents a $25 million restoration project. Master planning started in 2002; demolition work began in spring 2003, with construction work starting later that same year. The Center's completion date is Fall 2006.